Thursday 22 November 2012

Raspberry Pi bits arrived today

I was very keen to power up the Raspberry Pi so ordered the bits from CPC/Farnell. They seemed to have most of the required bits in stock but after I placed the order was advised that the USB mouse was not in stock and was put on back order. So bought one from Amazon instead for under £3.


Here are some pictures of the Raspberry Pi connected to our Telly in our study.

The picture on the left here shows the Pi protected in a transparent case. Thorughout my working career I have always been vary of static damage to circuit boards and could not understand the decision to supply the Raspberry Pi just as a PCB assembly. I will be interested to see how many get damaged by users fingering the components on the board. I didn't want to take this chance.



Below you can see the keyboard, Wireless Mouse Power Supply and HDMI cable connected to the Raspberry Pi on our coffee table.


The good news is that as soon as I applied power, a lot of text streamed onto the text. The bad news was that as I am only a humble electronics engineer, it did not make a lot of sense to me.



The Mouse did not seem to work either so this needs investigation.

Off to Whitby on Friday & Saturday, so looks like I need to do a lot of digging on Sunday to see if I can get something sensible that I understand on the display.





4 comments:

  1. Not all wireless mice are supported! You need to check on the particular device here http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Mouse_devices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Not sure who makes my "porsche" wireless mouse. Got a basic wired one on order. Hope it works.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. Use it with rechargeable batteries. These need charging in seperate charger every 2 months or so.
      Nice one here from Amazon.

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Porsche-Style-Red-Wireless-Mouse/dp/B009VFOJ34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353779929&sr=8-1

      The batteries and the USB dongle fits in the boot. Very nice.

      Delete